When the kids were younger I was always trying new ways to add vegetables to dinners. Now I just try to make them happy with their favorite meal - especially on days when the weather is miserable and it's hard to be happy and positive. This recipe was a combination of several recipes that I had printed long ago and the result is a hot, nourishing dinner with relatively few ingredients. It is still one of my oldest son's and my husband's favorite dinners and with this week's weather forecast...definitely on the menu!
Nourishing Comfort Food = Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie
(takes an hour from start to finish)
1 cup Cooked Chicken (I use a Rotisserie Chicken, cut up/shredded)
1.5 cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables (your choice)
1 Small White Potato, peeled and diced
2 Tblsp Butter
2 Tblsp Flour
1 cup Chicken Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 (9 inch round) pie crust (I use Pillsbury)
1. Thaw frozen mixed vegetables and heat chicken broth
2. Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add flour and cook over medium heat (constantly stirring), about 5 mins (making a roux)
3. Add chicken broth, salt & pepper and heat until mixture just begins to boil then add diced potato and simmer for about 10 minutes (until potato pieces are cooked...test with a fork).
4. Reduce heat, add chicken & mixed vegetables until heated through.
5. Spray a deep dish 9 inch round Pyrex pie dish with non stick spray and pour chicken and vegetable mixture in then cover with pie crust, making 4 small cuts in crust
6. Bake at 400 F for 30 mins or until golden.
7. Serve hot and Mangia!